Monday 30 March 2015

Calling all explorers!

First ever blog, desperately racking my brain for a witty, killer opening line and well, coming up with nothing so I'm afraid I'll have to go for something more predictable.  I guess I should start by introducing myself and more to the point the subject of this blog...

I'm Vicki and I'd like to invite you to join me for an adventure.

I am an engineer (a quality assurance engineer to be precise) working in the Space industry.  I'm about to embark on both the most exciting and gruelling adventure of my career to date, an adventure that will take me away from home for around 8 months, see me travel across the globe and finally end in South America, where I'll watch the spacecraft I've worked on for the last two years be blasted off into Space.

So do I have any takers?

The spacecraft is called LISA Pathfinder. 

While she might be a relatively small spacecraft, she's pretty mighty.  Her mission, to test out technologies required to perform a groundbreaking experiment in space.  An experiment to detect gravity waves, predicted by Einstein in his theory of general relativity. 

Pretty cool huh?!

So if you've ever wondered how to build to build a spaceship or if you want to know what it's like to send a rocket into space then join me on my adventure, from Stevenage to Space. Over and out.

Below: Artist's impression of LISA Pathfinder, courtesy of ESA.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment